Everyday in Nigeria, independent security statistics show that someone somewhere is being attacked or defrauded by some unscrupulous elements. You may have fallen victim of such misadventure. Maybe you were lucky or maybe not. But on my SafeAndSecureNigeria Blog, I think we can make Nigeria more safe and secure if we use this platform to share our ugly security experiences. This is to provide a veritable platform to learn from peoples' security experiences thus remaining alert.
 
Today, here is a real life event of a 28-year old Nigerian lady who narrowly escaped from being duped by the popular "one chance" taxi gangs around Douglas road in Owerri municipal Area in Imo State of Nigeria. Her name is Cynthia. She met me on the Facebook social media and after leaning about SafeAndSecureNigeria Blog, she decided to share her story on how she escaped from the dreaded "one chance" gang so that other readers might learn and improve on their personal security.
 
"I was on my way from my hometown to submit a job application in one of the Blue-Chip commercial banks situated in Owerri city. I had arrived safely but was asked to provide some passport photographs to attach to my application documents. I boarded a taxi to a computer business Centre along Douglas road in the same Owerri.
"one chance" gang
An alleged "One Chance" Taxi
 
I had completed the transaction and only entered another cab and in a bid to return on time, I failed to note the fact that I was the only female in the cab. Just about two minutes into the journey, one of the passengers spoke about a briefcase of cash of 50 million naira virtually forgotten by an Alhaji. Within minutes, the entire supposed passengers agreed to go and retrieve the cash with a view to returning same to the police. I did not utter a word nor contribute because I believed whatever they were discussing was not my concern. I also felt that they would drop me off before continuing on their treasure hunt. But I was wrong. They unanimously asked the driver to divert the cab to the undisclosed location.
 
At this time, I vehemently resisted and shouted at the driver to drop me off should he insist that I remain in the cab and follow them to their undisclosed destination. Almost instantly, the whole gang joined in raining abuses on me probably to intimidate and make me back down. I continued resisting and luckily, a police patrol van passed by and overheard my shouts. The cab was motioned to pull over. As expected, I narrated the whole story to the officer in charge of the patrol and the entire "one chance" gang was arrested.
 
Please beware of public taxis or buses you enter. Some of these public transport operators may not be genuine including the passengers that may accompany them. Nigeria is highly populated and these crime syndicates are well spread over the entire nation. Build and ensure your security today as you learn from my story."
 
This young lady's story is self explanatory. I urge you to continue to engage us on this blog for more revealing encounters of Nigerians who have learned from their experiences. You can also share these stories with friends and family on social media to let them read and be more security conscious.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post